Saturday, July 23, 2011

Because I am no quitter!



So apparently, I am at home, staring at my monitor, thinking of what to write. Oh! Let me write about what I went through before I got my very first job away from home.


Some of you may know that I never imagined myself working in a call center as people discriminate call center agents (and I used to be one of 'em. :-/ ). These people think that if you are in a call center it only means you're not good enough or you just can't find a job and the only choice you have left is to be a Call Center Slave. As long as you Understand and speak the language, YOU ARE IN! Agree?

Everything changed in just a snap when I started a new life in Manila. I quit my job as a Graphic Artist / Non-linear Video Editor in 2011 mainly because I wanted to do something else. I started sending applications online. "Lahat din ata ng bangko sa Manila inaplyan ko na." No luck. I even when considered working overseas. So I was on my way home when I saw this billboard. Jobs Fair! So I went there 2 hours before the Mall opens. Little did I know it was a Call Center Jobs Fair! I got too disappointed so I just walked around the mall. After an hour of just walking I decided to give it a try. So I passed the interview I had with IBM. I was immediately endorsed to the final interview which was scheduled at 9pm. Since it was only 4pm, I went home to freshen up. Kuya was still sleeping when I got home. I woke him up and told him that I passed an interview and he asked what position it was for. Without thinking, HE SAID NO. I ditched the interview. From then on, IBM kept calling my cellie asking if I still wanted to continue with my application. I asked for a little time and told them I needed to fix something in the Province. Eventually, I got my brother's blessing and went back to Manila for the Interview. I got the job and the salary offered was VERY GOOD. :-)

People from training

The training started on August 16th 2010,I met a lot of people and I said to myself, "Working in a call center wasn't bad after all". Not only will you improve your communication skills but you'll get to know more about american culture. Well, I find it very interesting. Ha! ha! I am very proud to say that I am consistently meeting all my targets **Good Stats! from the day I started taking in calls until now. Receiving positive feedback, how I handle calls and how I talk to the customers from the people in the floor are very overwhelming.

So when I learned about the IJP, without having second thoughts, I immediately sent my application. I was lucky enough to be included in the final Interview. I never wanted to expect much and yet I expected that I will be one of the 2. After the interview, I went out of the room unhappy. I got too nervous that I wasn't able to show the Interviewer how Eager was I to be part of the Q.A. Team. I know it sucks, So I just prayed for FAIR JUDGEMENT. I didn't get it. So that was the end of the story. I don't want to go into details as this might be taken against me. I just hope that we were treated fairly. I know I didn't get that promotion BUT THAT DOESN'T END HERE.
With my Dear Inna. I still can't believe you didn't get it.
with my Reg

The only thing that I can say is, working in a call center is like you're back in school. You have classmates, and they are your team mates and your teacher is your team Leader. Does it make sense? ha! ha! Yes it does! I also realized that in this business "People come and go". I know It is just like any other companies but in a call center it's pretty much different, I tell you.



This is what you can call REAL FRIENDSHIP. No Competition. If someone has very high EDR, we just laugh at it or we just simply give tips in lowering it down.
I miss you, Guys!

If you want to survive in this business you got to be strong, and I mean STRONG. You Got to be PROFESSIONAL in every sense of that word. BUT YOU ALSO NEED TO KEEP IN MIND THAT THERE WILL BE PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE IT. That's true. I can testify to that. Authority abusive? Oh, There are a lot of them. But like I said, you need to be strong and professional. You are not there to please anyone but you are there to earn money. Being a Call center Agent is still fun after all. You just need to learn to love what you're doing and you're good to go. And that's my secret. I learned to love my job and that is why I'm still here and that I can see my future in here.

I just need to continue what I have been doing. Maintain the scores. AND WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

no your aren't a quitter I know. we know! :)

K said...

A lot of us who were with you then were quitters. Sad but we're happy for you. Keep up the good job! ;)

Anonymous said...

Sabe ko sayo kaya mo eh!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sabe ko sayo kaya mo eh!!!!!

Micamyx said...

O, eh kelan mo na ako ililibre? :P miss u danabels!